Monday, June 28, 2010

Hold for Applause: Part II

A few days ago I posted a nice little blog about how we should be tolerant of awkward and "out-of-place" worship clapping because it was how some people worshipped God. If you have the time, read that blog first.
Tonight I experienced it again, but with a different view.
I am a lunch lady at the GLC. And I love getting to hang out after work and be with campers. I'm pretty sure I have the best job ever at my age. I get to experience some awesome things through the summer, with hundreds of lives being changed every week. Because it was a High School camp this week, the actions seemed to be more mature, for the most part. Worship was great, activity time was fine, but then reflection came.
After singing songs that were supposed to be relaxing and meditative, I ususally expect a few awkwardly applaud, but this time what I heard really ticked me off. Kids were clapping, but with intensity; laughing, trying to see who could start a clap or whatever...
It really started to make me mad. I thought about how I should be "tolerant" of it, but I didn't feel like these kids were clapping for the right reasons at all. They weren't listening, they were just being goofy, while I was trying to worship!
But if I could so easily be distracted, was my way of worshipping any better? Was I any more focused then them?

You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. - Matthew 7:5

Only God knows the depth of our hearts, what we think, why we do what we do.
Worship is my time to be with God, I don't need to worry about how others are finding Him. As I try to focus during these times, and after the foundation has been set for me and for others, I have to trust that God will work His wonders and take care of the rest.

2 comments:

  1. I read once that Soren Kierkegaard (I am sure I butchered the spelling of his name)said that when it comes to worship, most Christians have it wrong. We see worship set up like this:

    We are an audience. The pastor/worship leader is the actor. God is he prompter.

    He then goes on to say that this attitude is all wrong. In fact, he says that this is true:

    God is the audience; the pastor/worship leader is the prompter, and we are the actors.

    The point: God is the audience of our worship, and He is the one we worship. Our eyes should be fixed on him.

    Good post, Carly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kristin, I really like that analogy!

    ReplyDelete