Friday, March 19, 2010

Reliving the Past

You might be thinking to yourself, "I wonder what Carly has been doing during Spring Break," but chances are you aren't. However, because you came to look at my blog, I'm obliged to tell you anyway.

While my friends went and saw movies, hung out, went on vacations, I relived the first 9 months of my life, starting with waking up in a hospital, proceding with the wheeling-out-of-the-patient via wheelchair. Oh but wait, it gets better...

After I got home the real test began. I found that after the anethesia wore off I found it impossible to walk, or stay awake for more than an hour at a time...therefore spending most of the day in my bed. After 24 hours of that nonsense I was wheeled out to the garage, then engaged in a failed attept to ride "piggy-back" style to the car (nice try though, Dad.)

The car ride took me to the perfect place to recooperate- Top and Grandpa's house. What a better place to heal from "surgery" than a household full of grandparents with lots of couches, extra walkers and an extra handicap-accessible bathroom?!?

Anyway, it was there that I learned to crawl. It happened late at night..... I..... I just couldn't hold it any longer..... I should've gone before bed....but I didn't have to then! The only thing stopping me between my bed and the bathroom were my feet! So I then took my first re-crawling steps....and I'm sure I made my mother proud because she didn't have to wake up to help me hobble into the bathroom....that time or the twenty others that night.....

I eventually got tired of hurting my knees on the tile and began to walk...what a glorious moment....ha. Yea, I used a walker-don't judge, it helped. And it was always nice to have the support of my sister G dangling whatever I needed just out of reach for me.....how empathetic.

Even though I still have the balance of a Mexican-Jumping Bean, I'm happy with that. I've made progress...that I can very much relate to that of what I saw during my sister's first year of life....hmmm. I guess I'm pretty happy that God doesn't let us remember too much of being babies-I don't think I could handle doing all of it over again!

No comments:

Post a Comment