Monday, March 22, 2010

Deacons, Elders and all that good stuff

Monday Night
Elder or Deacon? That is the question posed tonight at spelling practice. I know I've got time, but there's no better time to explore than the present! I'll post more later.
......
Tuesday
Spelling practice is always fun (if you exclude the fact that I'm actually on the spelling team.) Especially since Coach Dye, who was a "Temporary Deacon" in the Episcopal church himself found out I want to go into the ministry. Now as we go through the list of words during practice, he points out any word relating to God, religion or the church (which makes going to practice a bit more worthwhile.) Last night we got into a conversation about the cloth that covers communion, which eventually lead to the different ways to serve God through ordained ministry in the UMC...Elder and Deacon.
I mentioned that I was considering becoming a Deacon and explained what it was, Coach Dye quickly remarked something like "Oh no, I want you to serve in a church and lead a congregation." At first I thought that maybe this was a sign from God, that He could be speaking to me through Coach Dye, until he said "If that's what you want to do anyway...." So I'm not completely sure anymore, haha.
Nonetheless, this brings me to a decision I've been contemplating; elder or deacon? I find that I'm pretty passionate about mission trips and missions and general, and I love working with children and youth in the church. These are some reasons I've considered the deacon route, because the possibilities are endless! I could choose what I want to do, and and if I get married and have children I could adjust (nothing like planning for the future I guess!) On the other hand, if I go the elder route; would I like serving a congregation? I've preached before, liked it, and felt that I did fairly well, but I don't really know if my call is to preach every week, I'm still discerning how I feel about that. I know there are lots of places to serve as an elder, but will I be able to serve God to the best of my ability if I'm appointed as a lead pastor to a small church while my passion is ________ ministry?
I realize that things will change and I'll explore new options as I get older. Believe me, I realize I don't have to decide today. It's something I pray about and will be very careful as I start getting into it more. But for now I figured there were lots of people who have gone through more of this stuff than me, and I want your opinion!




Additionally, It was suggested that I incorporate more pineapple into my blogs, so today I pose the question "Why a pineapple? Why not an Oakgrape?

No comments:

Post a Comment