Thursday, July 29, 2010

Pope Man and Pigs

Carly is the girl who likes pigs. This is probably one of the things I'm best known for by Glen Rose High School. I draw them a lot. I talk about them a lot. I carry around toy pigs in my backpack. I make pig faces. Animal Farm is one of my favorite books. Spirit days at school? I've got my pigs. To this high school bubble, I am pig girl.

This whole thing is pretty ridiculous. I traced back the origin of this bacon explosion back to one boy, Trey Sexton, aka the Pope Man. Anybody who knows Trey, knows that he can be a ham. When he first got old enough to come to youth, as is now, was always an entertainer. My group of friends would sit by him during snack supper, because there was no telling what he would do. Our favorite was hid pencil topper pig, that would appear on the table, in drinks, buried in nacho cheese. This was a weekly occurrence. Naturally, when I found toy pigs at World Market, I joined in this great fun. Thus begins this saga of pigs.

That began the sty of pig-related issues I now find myself wallowing in daily. I look back and see that as the main cause. But when I look back further, pigs have always been there. One of my favorite movies was Babe, and Squealer the pig? My favorite Beanie Baby. What kind of animals did I feed on mission trip? Pigs (one we named Gimpy.) And of course, a plate of Bacon was always the thing to eat for breakfast.

The potential for something is always there, but sometimes we need that extra push to get started. Who has pushed you?

No comments:

Post a Comment