Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Blog Post About Your Last Midwinter

To all of my Student Leadership Seniors approaching their last Midwinter,

It's hard to see something end when you've invested so much of your time and so many of your years into something that holds a special place in your heart. And this weekend, your fears are manifesting, the place you never thought you'd be is actually approaching quicker than you can make sense of it. It's real, this is your last Midwinter.

First of all, any of those feelings you are having are perfectly legitimate. You don't have to pretend to be happy if you're sad, and you don't have to be sad if you're happy. If there's anything you've learned after being on SLT, please let it be about leading in the way God made you, which is living an authentic Christian life.

Maybe you're looking back at your first Midwinter, or thinking about how much you've changed because of what happened there. Friendships were made. Your idea of God was stretched out of the box. Somehow, God impacted you to live in a new way. Don't forget where you started. When you're frustrated about how something is going terribly and you feel like you're useless and of no help, remember where you used to be.

Do God's work. He has given you this wonderful opportunity to shine His light for ALL to see. I regret all the times I tried to look cool instead of working to advance the Kingdom. Even after only a year, I already don't remember what games we played, all the people in my group, or who one the ridiculous YSF contest. Those things have all faded, and the thing I remember is that Jesus showed up. It sounds cheesy and like a good Christian answer, but becomes more and more the way I feel. THAT was what changed my life. Don't miss the opportunity for a memory like that.

Receive the grace that God has bestowed upon you, it's a wonderful gift. This weekend won't be great because of you. Actually, the more of you there is, the more it will suck. Allow yourself to create a space in your heart where God can work. He's going to do great things.

I love all of you guys, and not being with you this year somehow let's me step back to see how incredibly blessed I am to have you all in my life. I once heard former SLTer Molly Nason tell a senior not be too bummed about the last Midwinter because God has even better things in store for you. It was weird having someone tell me it wasn't the end of the world. At the time I wasn't sure how that would play out in my life, but one year out and I can assure you He does. Jeremiah 29:11 reminds us of this wonderful promise.

It's such a blessing to see all the wonderful ways you all are sharing God's love.I'll be praying for you all, and I love you guys and can't wait to hear about it!

In Christ,
Carly Payne
Hebrews 10:24-25

No comments:

Post a Comment