Thursday, January 20, 2011

Rethinking...

This year my church had a "Kidmas" service on Christmas Eve, and I was lucky enough to get to be a part and help serve communion. All the kids had a bread roll to share and I held the cups of grape juice. There was one little girl who came with her mother, grandmother and brothers. She was probably about 3 and hadn't taken communion too many times before. As the family approached I heard the mother whispering to the daughter instructions on what to do. As she approached me the mother told her to "drink the juice and say "thank you Jesus."" As the little girl received her cup her eyes looked up at me and she was silent for a moment. Then, still with her eyes fixed on me she turned and said to me, "thank you Jesus."

(I'd like to make it clear that I definitely realize I'm not Jesus, but hear my point.)

For those who have not heard the love of God and do not have a church home, where will they see Jesus? How will you bring the Jesus you know out to them in their own language, and who will see Jesus through you?

Isn't that what church is about, and why we need to rethink it?

I'm gonna think and let think.

No comments:

Post a Comment