Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Church vs. God

I'd like to think I'm a cheerful person who is pleasant to be around.

But sometimes I don't like people.

A few weeks ago my friend made the comment to me that I needed "to stop doing so much stuff" with my church. They didn't mean this in a bad way but it could be taken that way. My friend was just trying to say that I spent a lot of my time there, and I take that as a compliment.

Lately I've been kinda busy, and probably not too fun to be around. I'm always talking about SLT or the Methodorks that I don't get to hang out with my other friends.

One of my favorite Sunday School teachers once taught me that the church is not God. It is a great way to God, but it can also serve as a distraction. Sometimes we get so caught up with what we're doing and adding more and more to it that we forget why we do it and just go through the motions.

So am I about to resign from SLT or stop teaching my Intermediate Worship Birds? You've got to be kidding. But maybe I need to refresh myself on why I love doing it so much, and keep the focus.
The church helps me get to God, and I want to keep it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment