Friday, October 15, 2010

Radical Hospitality

Radical hospitality is can be shown by some of God's simplest creatures as a way that they naturally live their life.

Every day I get to vanish into the abyss that is Glen Rose Elementary. For an hour and a half I get to be with Mrs. Reed's Life Skills class, and they're my favorites.
One day, we're all getting in line for recess, when Andy shouts to Ky, "Can I borrow your extra jacket?"
Ky's eyes lit up, "yea, you can!"
Andy was obviously happy that he was not going to freeze outside, but I think Ky was even more excited.
"Here, let me show you how to put it on. Here, let me zip it up for you."
With a pat on the back Ky's face showed the satisfaction of helping a friend.

This is what Ky does, he's a helper. When one of his friends gets knocked down on the playground, he picks them up and then tries to beat up whoever pushed him, he's the teacher's helper when he wants to be. He practices radical hospitality every day, but that's just how he lives his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment